Unless you have been living under a rock for the past couple of years, you have probably heard quite a lot about the new California content standards. Maybe you have perused a copy of the state content standards for your discipline, know what they look like, and know that you're being challenged to help your students meet them. But how do you go about this process? What resources are available to help you?
If you are wrestling with these questions, you're in the right place. This course will help bridge the theory behind the standards with practical advice and procedures for aligning your curriculum. We will also explore the many ways technology increases the learning outcomes from your standards-based activities with engaging, multi-sensory learning experiences. At the completion of this course, you will have one new standards-aligned lesson plan and a process in place to design many more.
This 15-hour course takes the mystery out of the process of aligning your curriculum to the California content standards. You will also explore the many ways technology can increase the learning outcomes from your standards-based activities with engaging, multi-sensory learning experiences. At the completion of this course, you will have one new standards-aligned lesson plan and a process in place to design many more. In addition, CTAP 210 offers many useful learning aids, templates, and streaming video on standards and technology integration and meets the Digital High School requirements for technology integration staff development.
At the conclusion of this course, you will be able to:
- Define and identify key benefits of a standards-based classroom.
- Access and use information on the California content standards, frameworks and high-stakes asessments to help for lesson planning.
- Identify places where your curriculum for the year diverges from the content standards for your grade level and discipline.
- Access personal proficiency resources that will enable you to assist students with the use of technology in your classroom.
- Use the process of aligning a lesson to the content standards to create lesson plans for a unit of study.
- Access and use ideas for integrating technology into your curriculum.
- Design a culminating assessment activity for your lesson or unit of study aligned to the content objective(s) you selected.
- Design standards-aligned performance objectives for the culminating activity.
- Design a standards-aligned assessment tool for the culminating activity.
- Why Standards?
1a: What are academic content standards?
- Activity 1a: Discuss standards adaptation in your district
- Activity 1b: View streaming video.
- Activity 1c: Evaluate the standards for your grade level and discipline.
1e: What does standards-aligned look like in practice?
1f: How do you put standards into practice?
2a: How are the content standards organized?
2b: What do standards-aligned performance objectives look like?
2c: How do you derive performance objectives from a content objective?
Activity 2c: See what standards alignment looks like on paper.
Activity 2d: Check for understanding.
3a: How well does your curriculum align with the standards?
Activity 3a: Compare and contrast your curriculum with the content standards.
3c: What kinds of culminating activities should you consider?
3d: How does technology fit into the standards picture?
- Activity 3d: View streaming video and discuss technology's impact on learning.
4a: Who sets the bar?
4b: What evaluation instrument do you use to assess proficiency?
Activity 4a: Search online assessment databases.
- 5: A step-by-step guide to the alignment process.
- Activity 5a: Choose The Lesson And Content Standard(s).
- Activity 5b: Analyze Your Students.
- Activity 5c: Backwards Map - First Determine Your Culminating Activity.
- Activity 5d: Write Standards-Aligned Student Learning Objectives.
- Activity 5e: Develop Your Lesson's Culminating Activity.
- Activity 5f: Design And Develop Your Lesson's Learning Activities.
- Activity 5g: Design And Develop Your Lesson's Introductory Activity(s).
- Activity 5h: Design Your Assessment Tool.
- Activity 5i: Add the Finishing Touches.
You will create one standards-aligned lesson plan using our Lesson Plan Builder. Here is an example of the type of lesson you will create and here is the scoring rubric that will be used to assess your final product. In addition, some activities require you to engage in discussions in our Discussion Forums.